Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Header Challenge 5th January 2011 � Squaring the circle

 

Now this weeks challenge was seemingly impossible. Well it was an adage for an impossible task anyway. Gailsman chose the theme for this week and he has gone with �Squaring the Circle�.

Now I thought I could try and re-create the mathematical problem that this saying derives from that of  the challenge of constructing a square with the same area as a given circle by using only a finite number of steps with compass and straightedge.

squaring the circle-1-2

Unfortunately I am no mathematician so this is as far as I got.

So who or what else is famous for squares and circles? Well I thought of the freemasons with their square and compasses as their emblem.

squaring the circle-1

In the end I thought of just looking for squares and circles in the same photograph�

squaring the circle-1-3

This is a photo taken of the font in the Baptistery in Pisa Italy. The squares and circles to me show that this combination of squares and circles is not just the realms of mathematical scholars but everyday craftsmen and the occasional photographer too.

I hope the other members of the headbangers agree with my interpretation. Don�t forget to leave a comment and tell me what you think, then drop in to see what the others have come up with this week. Follow the links at the top of the right column to see their blogs after leaving your comments of course. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2010 Camera Dashboard. All rights reserved.
Themes by Ex Templates Blogger Templates l Home Recordings l Studio Rekaman