Friday, January 21, 2011

A DIY memo board

Well hello there!! I am just overwhelmed at your response to my last post. You made me feel SO much better! :) I was so happy to read your comments and to hear many of you are making time to take care of YOU! It made my week! (Really.)

Because of I�ve been organizing like mad, and throwing in a few more work outs in here and there lately � my DIY/crafty/decorating time has been suffering. :) I rectified that today with a project I�ve been meaning to do forEVER.

I needed a new memo board for the light and bright office redo I�ve been working on. I made this one years ago:

It�s looking a little sad now. :) To make it, I just covered a piece of insulation foam with fabric. I wrapped the ribbon around it and hung it -- done!

I wanted something huge and it worked perfect! (See that squishy face in the picture on top? That�s my Bub�s birth announcements. Still LOVE.)

Well, about a year ago (yes, a YEAR) I found this huge frame for $10 at Goodwill:

IMG_2785

I think it was even half off � it�s been so long I can�t remember! I knew it would work perfect for a new memo board. (I was planning ahead.)

I liked how chunky the frame was, but it wasn�t in the best shape:

It also had a band of linen-type fabric that I actually quite liked.

I had a plan in mind for this baby and I absolutely luuuurve how it turned out! Not just love � LURVE.

First step was to prime the heck out of the sucker. I laid it down on my �spray painting� sheet on the garage floor and did a couple quick coats.

I need to mention that it was NINE degrees outside when I did this. It was unreal, it was so cold.

I am nothing if not dedicated! :)

Once I got feeling back in my hands, I brought it inside to dry. (Spray paint takes forever to dry in extreme temps.)

After that it was ready for paint. Because I wanted to use only what I had, I painted it the blue ceiling paint I used in the office. While it was drying, I moved onto the �memo� part:

This stuff is that thick foam insulation you can get at the hardware store. I love it! I got a few sheets to cover our crawl space openings into the basement years ago. It works GREAT � keeps the cold and the spiders out! Eww!

Anyhoo, I wanted to reuse the foamy stuff for this memo board as well. I measured the size I needed, then used my Dremel to cut it out:

Awe-some!! (Said in a sing song voice.)

I wrapped it with my fabric, securing it to the back with hot glue:

I nail gunned it to the back of the frame and it worked like a charm!

For now it's hanging right behind the desk:

I think it will stay on that wall, but not sure where exactly. :) My plan for the board and batten includes a small ledge, so after that�s done I�ll have to play around with the memo board.

Of course I used the stripe fabric, which is a pain in the booty to get just right:

It has to be perfectly straight or it will drive. you. MAD. Or maybe it just drives me mad. :)

When I primed the frame, I sprayed right over the linen fabric (one word: L.A.Z.Y.) and the primer didn�t even cover it. So weird � it looks just like it did before!:

I just left the little gold strip inside the frame primed. Again�laaaaazy.

I got the fabric pretty straight:

IMG_2805

Enough that it doesn�t give my hives to look at it. :) It�ll be covered with notes anyway. That�s what I keep telling myself.

Did you notice my little addition to the DIY drum shade fixture?:

drum shade chandelier

A picture in a magazine inspired it � I saw a beautiful drum shade trimmed out with beautiful, large glass beads. It was GORG. I searched ev.er.y.where. online and couldn�t find anything that looked like it � and then one day I checked out Hobby Lobby and found this.

It is just a precious little beaded trim � I adore it:

Is it possible to be in love with cute beaded trim? Is it normal to be in love with cute beaded trim? I don�t care � I am. :)

I am loving how the room is coming along! The time has come though � I need to buck up buttercup and just get that board and batten DONE.

I still can�t believe the transformation so far. The office before:

And after:

WHOO! Love it! And my office will be extra insulated now. ;)

**I still don�t know what I�m doing with that chair � the cover I had was the wrong blue, (total clash with the memo board) so I took it off for now. I think I have something in mind. (Do you hear my mind crankin�?)

Hope you have a fantastic weekend!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2010 Camera Dashboard. All rights reserved.
Themes by Ex Templates Blogger Templates l Home Recordings l Studio Rekaman