Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Office update and the plan

IMG_2593

Well hello! I�m back with another update on my office redo. I�ve mentioned before that I had only one goal in mind when redecorating this space � making it BRIGHT.

And whooowee, it�s working! :) I�m SO thrilled with the direction it�s going.

Last time I updated, I showed you the difference a coat of primer and a couple coats of white did to the space:

image

OH my. Night and day. Get it? Dark room = night. Light room = day. Har.

Anyway, next up was to paint the ceiling and the upper third section of the walls. After visiting the paint section at True Value, I found what I just what I was looking for. It took a while though:

photo (2)

Yowza � HUGE selection.

I used my inspiration fabric and found two colors that matched perfectly! The first was the ceiling:

IMG_2601

I have to tell you � I hadn�t used Dutch Boy paints till I started this redo. But I am in love. I am SO impressed with how well it covers.

The kind I got had a primer in it, but I still thought I�d have to use two coats. I had only used one coat of white primer over the (red) ceiling, (yes, red), and didn�t think there was any way one coat of blue would completely cover the red/primer:

IMG_1975

(YES. The ceiling was red.)

But it covered in in one coat, easy peasy. I painted it at night, (hence the bad night picture) and was sure when daylight came I�d have to do another coat.

NOPE! Love love LOVE!

I chose a beautiful light blue called Purify. Here�s the formula if you�d like to try it out:

IMG_2602

(By the way, remember to always use a flat paint on your ceiling!)

I gotta give more props to �my� True Value � every time I get a paint mixed there, they keep record of it under my name. No more looking through the blog to figure out what the color of my walls are!  ;)

Then it was onto the upper part of the walls. I picked a sand color that matched the brown in the fabric exactly. Again, I started painting at night, and right away I knew it was way too dark:

IMG_2246

It was a true sand color. I mean, like the beach was on my walls, sand. I stopped at one wall that night so I could see it the next morning. But when I saw it in the light, I was still sure it was too dark.

We had the Bub�s birthday party a couple of days later, and I was completely outvoted � everyone loved the darker tone. :) I tried living with it, but it just wasn�t what I was going for.

A friend suggested maybe I should try the color of our family room:

image

It�s called Sisal and I big fat puffy fluffy heart love it. It�s my favorite neutral. So I had it color matched, but lightened 25 percent.

Helloooo! It was perfect!

It�s hard to tell in this picture, but the new, lighter color is on the left, the darker version is on the right:

photo

I know the colors don�t look that different in the picture, but trust me. Or it could be just me � very possible. :)

Here it is against the lovely blue ceiling:

IMG_2597

Sigh. It�s so PRETTY. (Don�t worry, crown molding will cover that red.)

I love the colors with my DIY pendant light:

IMG_2590

Giddy. :) :)

So, here�s the low down on the changes to come in this space�as you�ve seen, I moved my farmhouse desk to this side of the room:

IMG_2580

Before it was squished into the other corner. I love this set up -- I can be on the computer or working and still see what�s going on in the family room and kitchen.

This is the plan for the bottom two thirds of the wall:

yedow-04_077

(source)

Be still. my heart. :)

The window corner will get the following:

windows

I�ve tried moving my rattan chair over there, but then I can�t get to the windows to open the shades and let the light in. :) So my dream plan would be to build a set of window seats in that spot.

Not sure how that�s gonna happen.

Dad? Hello?? ;)

Of course, the windows will get treated with this beautiful fabric:

image

I can�t remember if I got enough of the stripe or the paisley for the windows. It will be a surprise for all of us. :) (By the way, I got the fabric at Joann�s.)

My Pier 1 chair sits where the desk used to sit:

corner

When I bought that chair years and years ago, I wanted the ottoman but didn�t have the money. Guess what I found a year ago at Goodwill? Awww yeah � the matching ottoman! For $10!

Once I get those cushions covered, I think that rattan texture will be perfect in the space.

Finally, the Bub�s old dresser now serves as storage:

dresser

And now that it�s up against the white, I know I want some contrast. Just not sure what color it will be.

I did find a gorgeous, stunning dresser on Craigslist, but it�s much wider. If I get it, the chair would have to move to the window corner. It�s a sacrifice I may just have to make, cause it is GORGEOUS. Ack!

That is, if it�s not sold already. Crossing fingers and toes! For now I�m planning on not having it, just in case.

So that�s the plan for the rest of this redo! I put off the painting for eight months, and now I know why. :) It took one coat of primer on four walls and the ceiling, two coats white, and a coat on the ceiling and upper walls. Yikes. That�s a lot for me, who usually does one coat and done. :)

But if I�ve said it once, I�ve said it a trillion times � paint absolutely transforms a room! The before:

image

And now:

office

Fear not color lovers � there�s plenty coming. I plan on adding punches in the art -- I�m so stinking excited about that part! And I�m thinking about one more accent color�haven�t decided on that yet.

And I am SO looking forward to having such a serene space!

I need it. This is what I look at as I type tonight:

IMG_2603

Ummm. Wow. Just�wow.

(Think we have enough remote controls??)

A Christmas/toy store/trash bin BOMB went off in my family room. Actually, my whole house. Glad I�m done painting the office � I�ve got plenty to do. ;)

 

*I was one of the bloggers selected by True Value to work on the DIY Squad. I have been compensated for my time commitment to the program as well as my writing about my experience. I have also been compensated for the materials needed for my DIY project. However, my opinions are entirely my own and I have not been paid to publish positive comments.*

 

Thank you to my sponsor!:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2010 Camera Dashboard. All rights reserved.
Themes by Ex Templates Blogger Templates l Home Recordings l Studio Rekaman