Thursday, September 30, 2010

My style is �Suburban�

So I�ve noticed something lately when watching my favorite design shows. There is one word that seems to strike fear in the heart of many a �real� decorator�

Their mouth puckers up like they just drank lemon juice.

They look like they just swallowed a bug.

They look as if they may just spit out the word�cause it�s just so completely hideous.

That word that makes them quiver�

 

SUBURBAN

 

(Runs screaming from the computer. Arms flailing. Trembling. Hives.)

But I don�t get it. Never have. I don�t understand what�s so bad about �suburban.�

I know, I know. It means normal�average�just like the next one.

To them anyway. To me it means warm�cozy�it can even be classic.

And, YES, normal.

What�s wrong with normal? Normal can most certainly be pretty. Warm can definitely be different. Cozy can be innovative once and a while.

buffet without hutch

But to me, more than anything��suburban� means

A FAMILY LIVES HERE

family room

Why is that so horrible? 

For years I�ve tried to figure out my own decorating style, and I�ve never really nailed it down. I�m really traditional, a little bit transitional.

But then I heard that �suburban� word one more time a couple of weeks ago, and I realized�that�s ME! My style is Suburban.

target rust bedding

And I�m proud of it.

BoooooYAH.

Really. I�ll scream it from the roof of my suburban home. My suburban home in a neighborhood.

In Suburbia.

I love Suburban. It�s home.

To me, it�s family and friends plopping down on your couch, getting something out of your fridge, sitting around your kitchen table playing yuker.

Yeah, I said it. Yuker. I�m a Hoosier. Darn tootin�.

Although I usually just sit and watch�I won�t take the time to really learn how to play it. Which is probably a good thing because I am NOT a good loser.

It�s not pretty. :)

And yes, I know it�s spelled euchre. I�m being a Hoosier. Funny. Get it? :)

I found the definition of Suburban online, just because I was curious:

sub�ur�ban (s?-b�r'b?n)

adjective

  1. 1. Of, relating to, or characteristic of a suburb. (Check.)
    2. Located or residing in a suburb. (Check.)
    3. Of, relating to, or characteristic of the culture, customs, and manners typical of life in the suburbs. (Check. Check. Check.)

We dream of having a weekend apartment in New York City someday.

And a mountain cabin�someday.

And one day�maybe moving to a house that�s not in a neighborhood, one that�s older than ten years old, on some land with a creek in the back. (Or crick, if you�re a Hoosier.)

You know � the kind of house that�s more than 30 feet from the road? Yeah. One of those.  :)

But any one of those would still be decorated in my Suburban style. Warm and cozy, cozy and warm�and normal. In my way, normal.

airplane boy room

My normal is not your normal, which is why Suburban could never be average. Just in the same way one person�s contemporary isn�t another person�s contemporary. Styles are translated differently by all of us.

And every style can be comfortable and welcoming. Contemporary can most definitely scream A FAMILY LIVES HERE�but that doesn�t make it boring. 

My style is Suburban and I am not ashamed.

What�s yours?  :)

Welcome to my latest advertiser!:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2010 Camera Dashboard. All rights reserved.
Themes by Ex Templates Blogger Templates l Home Recordings l Studio Rekaman