Monday, September 6, 2010

Before and After Party: Choo choo!

Hello there! I hope you had a fantastic Labor Day weekend! I got SO MUCH DONE � I labored way too much and rested too little.  ;) I cannot wait to show you what I worked on � squeallllll!! (I�ll show you tomorrow!)

So anyhoo, I�m pretty proud of this project because I built it with my own two hands�I can decorate and saw and craft and organize and drill like no one�s business, but I rarely actually build stuff.

It was FUN. :)

Let�s start with the before�part of our unfinished basement I showed you last year:

The basement has undergone a huge transformation, again. I�m still working on it, but the level of decrapification is high. Like, big time. HUGE.

When I posted the basement last year, we had just started using the space for some of the Bub�s toys. Recently we�ve been moving more and more down there, making this area more of a toy room. I had bought the train table at Goodwill for $10 just to have a flat play space down there � the majority of the train stuff was still up in the loft.

A little over a year ago, back when I was doing the decorating thing, I was at a client�s house with the Bub � most of my client�s had kids and welcomed my kiddo when I was just swinging by. (Big bonus of the decorating gig!) They had a fabulous finished basement, with a HUGE train table set up. My client mentioned that her husband had built it and both the Bub and I were in awe. :)

It was huuuuge! She explained how her husband had put it together and I knew right then I HAD to do it. Well, it only took me a year, but I finally did it! It�s insanely easy, and it started with one large piece of plywood � it was four by eight feet.

I had the guys at Home Depot cut it into three equal pieces for me � four feet by 32 inches each. Then I bought a ton of legs � they had different lengths �- 12, 15 and 21 inches I believe. I figured 15 wouldn�t be quite tall enough, and 21 was too tall, so I got the 21 inchers and cut them down to 18. 

(You could save a TON of cash by just getting 2 by 2�s and double ended screws and creating your own legs � but the ready made legs were way faster to install.)

Because the corners were pointy and a wee bit dangerous, I decided to round them off a bit. I used a spray paint can (because it was closest round thing I could find) and simply put it on each corner, outlined the bottom of the can, then cut it with a jigsaw:

126

I�m sooo technical. Whatever works, right? :)

My client�s hubby used Astroturf-type stuff for the top of their train tables, but I wanted something a bit softer (and cheaper!), so I just got some green flannel from Joann�s:

With a coupon it was less than $10! I just laid down each table face down and �upholstered� them like I would a chair:

You can see the brackets for the legs here too � you just screw those in, then twist each leg into the bracket. Easy peasy!

That�s it! I was going to brace each table by installing wood between each leg, but they were surprisingly sturdy as is. I did add a leg to the center of each table for a little more support � in case the Bub decided to climb the train tables.

Which he has. :)

The BIG added bonus of these is the extra storage! My original plan was to skirt each one with some fun fabric, but once I got them up I wanted it to be as easy as possible for the Bub�or ME�to slide the bins in and out:

I love these bins by the way! Five bucks each at the Deals store -- they come in fun colors and they hold a ton! LURVE.

Extra bonus � all of the Thomas stuff that was up in the loft is going down here � whoohoo!! My husband son has created quite a collection, so I�m glad to get them all down here where he can really spread them out:

I mean, come one � that is some serious train table goin� on. Hubby has big plans to get one killer Thomas set up going on these. The Bub may be involved as well.  ;)

And I may or may not be the coolest Mama around right now. This puts me way over the top. Awww yeah.

So my before and after for this month � one wimpy (but cheap!) train table before:

And the my-mom-rules, DIY train tables after:

DIY train tables

I hope to show you the completed basement redo next week. :)

Now it�s your turn! Link up your before and afters! Just a reminder � please link to your post, not your blog! (Folks look at these for months and I want to make sure they get to the right post.)

TDC before and after party

I�ll have the linky open through next Monday. Have fun!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2010 Camera Dashboard. All rights reserved.
Themes by Ex Templates Blogger Templates l Home Recordings l Studio Rekaman