Friday, July 2, 2010

Kitchen redo: Week ?? (and Indy Style!)

046

Hello there! Are you ready for the holiday weekend? We sure are � we�ve been preparing every night this week by setting off fireworks and annoying the crap out of the neighbors participating in the festivities. Our son is OBSESSED with fireworks this year.  :)

Some of you may remember I was one of the VERY fortunate bloggers to be picked by American Express to use Membership Reward Points for our kitchen redo! The points are gone, but I have most everything I need to finish up the space. I�m still trying to figure out a few of the details, which I�ll talk about in a bit.

I haven�t gotten nearly as much done as I wanted recently, but there is a little bit of progress. I mentioned a few weeks ago that I wanted to make some kind of fridge surround:

backsplash

But when I showed you the beadboard backsplash, one of you brilliant Squeezies mentioned putting it on the side of the fridge � uhhhh � that is SMART.

I thought hard about how I could do it without having to use Liquid Nails on the side of the fridge, and I finally decided on heavy duty Velcro: 

Since I had bought extra beadboard to do the fridge, I went ahead and continued it along the side wall as well:

It�s not built in for reals, but it gives the illuuuuuusion that it is. :) What I love is I don�t even notice the side of the fridge anymore � before the black stuck out big time (especially with the white backsplash!)

I�ve planned all along to put glass fronts on a few of our cabinets, but I after looking through just a few (or 50) kitchen reno mags, I found I also loved the look of open cabinetry � no doors at all!

To see how I liked it in a couple spots, I took the doors off and we�ve lived with it for a while. Besides having an urge to shut the cabinet door that NOT THERE every. single. time. I walk by, I love the look!

I cut some simple strips of wood that I stuck against the edge of the shelves to give it a more built in look:

My plan is to go ahead and paint the inside of this cabinet, and see what I think. Then I�ll decide if I want to keep the door and add the glass, or just leave them open. (I�d have to paint them anyway, with the glass doors.)

I�m struggling with how many doors should have glass if I go that route � most of the cabinets I�d have open are all on one side of the room. The cabs with the not-so-pretty stuff are all on the other, so I don�t want to show of the contents of those. :)

I took the doors off of the cabs above our stove:

I was inspired by these wine racks you can get with IKEA cabinetry:

And I�m going to attempt my own. :) We will see how that turns out!

The inside of that one will get painted inside as well, and if I go ahead with this idea, I�ll have to cut out the center piece that goes between the doors � which is totally freaking me out!!  :)

Anyone with glass fronts or open cabs � how did you decide which ones to open up and how many did you do? This one has me stumped!

I added some trim to the shades that came with the new light fixture:

The trim is super cute and was a STEAL half off at Joann�s, but I�m not sure I love how thick it is on these shades:

Just like everything else I do that I�m not sure about, I�ll live with it for a while. The answer comes to me eventually.  ;)

I love love LOVE the new rug from Pottery Barn for under the table!:

It�s so light and fresh and it still hides EVERYTHING! Whoohoo! It�s an outdoor rug that�s made to look like jute. I love that it�s not quite as thick as real jute, so it�s easier to move the chairs in and out from the table.

The only thing I�m a teensy bit worried about is the little tufts that are coming up:

039

I don�t know if I just snip them down and see how they do or maybe pull them through to the other side? I could just flip the rug but that table is wicked heavy, so we do that as little as possible. :)

I still haven�t hung the new pantry door:

But I do think I�ve decided on the color for that, the base of the table and the island � black for the first two and a little something different on the island:

It has sat like this forEVER and I�m glad I didn�t continue with my idea to paint it cream. (That is just primer on there now.) The beadboard backsplash was going to be cream at first, and I didn�t like it at all. Then I saw the light island with the white backsplash and it was just too matchy matchy to me.

Sooooo�I think the island�s going apple green. :) I�m a little scared and a whole lot excited to try this out � I�m going to go for a pale apple green, not a bright one, so I�m hoping it ties in OK. ACK, I have no idea! But I won�t know if I like it until I try!

Now I just have to find the perfect apple green, and I think I know where to find it:

The Bub�s old nursery had three tones of apple green in it, and I still have some left over. :)

Next step is to get our IKEA butcher block cut down to size for the island � but I want to have a professional do that so it�s a SUPER clean cut. Any fellow Hoosiers in the Indy area know of anyone who has a very large table saw? Let me know!

Soooo�there you go! It�s definitely coming together � slowly but surely. I hope to have it finished up in the next month, but I never set a date cause that�s just the kiss of death. :)

In other news, I was on the Indy Style show again this morning, and I�ll be a monthly guest from now on!:

Are you surprised I talked about beadboard? NO?! :)

Mental note for next time � put twice as much makeup on and find something to do with my hands!! (I need a pointer or something. Seriously.)

NOTE: July�s Before and After Party will be Tuesday night next week � I know the Fourth fun is spread out over the whole weekend so I�m pushing it back a bit.

Have a safe and fun Fourth!

GOD BLESS THE USA!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2010 Camera Dashboard. All rights reserved.
Themes by Ex Templates Blogger Templates l Home Recordings l Studio Rekaman