Sunday, June 27, 2010

Red, white and blue door decor!

Whew! I hope you had a FAB weekend! We had a great one!

Today we got to visit with someone our son has been dying to meet for a very long time:

Thomas

;) That would be Thomas the Train. I tell. you. what. He was in heaven. Can you tell?! (That�s his smile by the way.)  ;)

Then we started out the Fourth of July week by watching the local fireworks tonight � and we are POOPED. Happy. But pooped.

I got a very easy, cheap and quick Fourth of July crafty project done today that I had to share with you � I mean, when have I NOT? :)

The seed for this one was planted by the incredibly talented ladies over at How Does She � they made this adorable flag out of 2x4�s!:

Well, it got my mind a thunkin�. I wanted to make one, but I wanted to be able to hang in on our front door, so it had to be lightweight.

To make it a bit less heavy, I gathered some slats of wood for less than a buck each and a piece of plywood for about $3 from Lowe�s:

The plywood and the slats were two feet wide, but that was going to be just a leeetle large for the front door. So I decided 16 inches wide would work perfectly:

I used my very-favorite-I-luff-you-compound-miter-saw but you could easily use  a miter box and hand saw � the wood is so thin!

Since it needed to be fairly small, I did four longer rows, then four shorter rows on top:

Because I was trying to use what I had, I decided to just use the extra pieces of wood to make up the blue corner part of the flag. I figured out the measurements by just laying it all together like a puzzle:

010

Then I cut those down as well, and did a quick coat of navy blue spray paint, leftover from the Bub�s room redo.

I cut out the plywood backing with my jigsaw:

You�ll notice it doesn�t have to be perfect! :)

I glued down each piece with Liquid Nails. You could use just about anything as a backing � and any glue you have on hand to put it together. Even hot glue would work great!

I loved the one big fat star idea, so I used my Silhouette cutter to make a honkin� star in white vinyl:

vinyl star

I attached some navy blue ribbon to the back with staples, then put little felt protectors on the back so it won�t scratch up the door.

The result? Cauuute Fourth of July decor for under $10!:

DIY flag decor

I bought eight slats of wood but only needed six � the two I have leftover would make an adorable mini version of this flag, so I think I may have to make another!

It�s a perfect fit for the front door:

Usually the extent of our Fourth decor is just our American flag (that�s usually flying anyway) and a few flags stuck in the flowers out front:

073

Can we pause to admire my goooorgeous petunias?:

069

It has rained like we�re in the freaking Amazon here this summer, so they are growing like weeds! :)

But now we have a nice pop of red white and blue to amp it up just a bit more and I luuurve it!:

079

Less than ten bucks in less than an hour � can�t beat it!!

So are you a big Fourth of July decorator? Feel free to link your projects up in the comments � I�d love to see! I have another red white and blue project I�m going to try out this week � this one could get interesting!  ;)

You still have time to win a Silhouette of your very own! If you haven�t entered yet, make sure to go here before this Tuesday!! Go! Hurry!! :)

**I�m adding this to Kate�s linky party and The CSI Project!:

Visit thecsiproject.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2010 Camera Dashboard. All rights reserved.
Themes by Ex Templates Blogger Templates l Home Recordings l Studio Rekaman