Sunday, April 25, 2010

Painting the backs of built ins

014

Well, I finally did the last of the painting in the Bub�s room today � sheesh, this room has involved a crazy amount of painting. I am not touching a paint brush again for months! OK, weeks! OK, probably tomorrow!

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was struggling with the color for the backs of the built ins. I was thinking the navy may be too much. The accent colors of red or yellow would just be too bright. And I did consider going back to white for a hot second, but it was fleeting.

I just LURVE when the backs of built ins are painted:

050

I just think it�s a really inexpensive way to accent the architecture and it makes your accessories positively pop!

And if you�ve read this blog long, you know I am a lovah of painting ceilings as well. I have done it for years and the Bub�s room is a great example of how great it can look�and it had me thinkin�.

Why not use the grayish blue from the ceiling on the backs of the shelves? It grew on me and I thought it would look pretty fab. The bonus � I had some leftover from the ceiling!

Well, I ADORE it:

002

009

Sorry the pics aren�t great � it was gloomy today and I was losing light!

The blue is a color match to Upward from Sherwin Williams, and it�s a really lovely, soothing grayish blue:

What�s funny is just a few weeks ago I asked my fellow Twits on Twitter about recommendations for a grayish blue -- and DUH, I had it right here. (I was thinking about it for another room.)

Anyhoo, it�s awesome � it looks like it would have been on the same paint chip as the wall color (Admiralty from Lowe�s) as a lighter tone of the navy. I was a teensy bit nervous how the red and yellow accessories would look with it, but I think they�re going to be great:

016

The red will anyway. :) I still need to put everything back arrange it. (The FUN part!)

There will be a Squishy II coming later this week. It�s been kinda nice not cleaning up after a fish lately, but the cutie gumball tank looks so lonely without a little friend.  ;)

I�m SO close to done with the room! I�m waiting on a couple finishing touches but I really hope I'll be able to show you this week. SQUEAL! I love it!!

I do need your advice on a couple things! One, leave the doors on the built ins as is or paint the insets on them?:

012At first I considered the navy�then I thought maybe the Upward color. Now I�m thinking I like the white. It kind of works with the white board and batten around the bottom of the room and continues the white�which I�m digging now. What do you think? Color or no?

Second question for your brilliant minds � the gorg sconces in the window area are a oil rubbed bronze finish, which I normally adore�but with all of the brushed nickel accents in the room, I�m wondering if I should spray paint them to match?:

night

If my ORB spray paint was jealous with my use of the Heirloom White � it is full out loony on me now, because I am absolutely in LOVE with the brushed nickel in this room � I�m using it all over the place!

I love how the dark arms of the sconces pop off the drapes, but it�s kind of bugged me that they don�t match the metallic accents.

So what say you? Built in doors in color or white? Sconces as is or spray painted? I would love to hear your thoughts! Thanks in advance � you rock!

I�ll announce the winner of the HomeGoods gift card tomorrow! Have a great Monday!

 

Thank you to my advertiser:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2010 Camera Dashboard. All rights reserved.
Themes by Ex Templates Blogger Templates l Home Recordings l Studio Rekaman