Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Olympus E-520 Digital SLR Review

First impressions are important, as that's where most of us make a decision in the camera shop. As soon as I picked up the camera I was on the wrong footing. Had someone forgot to add the meat to the flesh? The light weight sent out the wrong signal. Then I tried Live View and was instantly disappointed by the slow focusing speed. Yes it's one of the few that has AF in Live View but I couldn't help wanting something that didn't hunt around while using it. And to top it all I got confused with the menu system.

It took me a while to become familiar with the Olympus E3 and as I had't handled that for a while I'd forgotten the different system. So It's not going well. But then as I start to take photos, switch off Live View and get back to using the real camera I begin to see that there's a very impressive set of features housed in a mid-priced camera.

As the images start to build up on the memory card I'm seeing a very good metering system that delivers consistently accurate exposures, a budget lens that's razor sharp, and a collection of features that can adapt to any scene. Then as I go through the manual I start to get a feel for custom features, adapting the camera exactly to my needs and it starts to become clear that there's a beast in this featherlight package.

Then, back in the test lab, and playing with the Live View more, I start to see the incredible benefit of the MF system and magnification in Live View. I'm suddenly all ears, sorry eyes.

Image proceesing is superb, noise minimal, sharpness is good, exposures are 100% and the IS system is a lifesaver. Overall a very impressive piece of kit worthy of its price.

more : ephotozine

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2010 Camera Dashboard. All rights reserved.
Themes by Ex Templates Blogger Templates l Home Recordings l Studio Rekaman