Monday, March 31, 2008

DxO Optics Pro V5 Review

DxO 5 features significant improvements and new features compared to previous versions. If you are already using DxO you will find that version 5 features new options and is easier to use. If you have not used DxO yet you can download a free trial version from DxO.com and evaluate the software.

To me, the new user interface alone is worth updating. Until DxO 5 I kept wondering where some of the options were. Now I find them all easily and my workflow is a lot quicker and more intuitive. I focus on image optimization instead of trying to remember where everything is.

The new features of DxO 5 are also a big improvement. The noise reduction tool is a welcome addition that provides better noise removal than was available so far. It is of high interest to me because when I shoot 35mm digital I like to shoot handheld (I currently photograph with both 4x5 film and 35mm digital). Often, I need a small aperture to have a large depth of field and often the light level is low because I work at sunrise and sunset or because I find myself in a slot canyon or in other semi-dark places. The image in the screenshots above for example was taken at ISO 1600. I don�t expect DxO to remove all the noise in the image, but I have to say that version 5 certainly gives me cleaner files with less noise in the shadows.

Shadows receive very little exposure and are therefore a critical part of the image when it comes to noise removal. Because they feature very little detail, the image data in a high ISO shadow area is usually mostly noise. Having a raw converter that can remove noise as best as can be done is a serious asset in this situation.

My recommendation is to give DxO 5 a try. The free trial version makes this easy. Raw conversion is a quickly evolving field, and with version 5 DxO is making a very significant contribution to this field.

Alain Briot

more : luminous-landscape
 
Copyright 2010 Camera Dashboard. All rights reserved.
Themes by Ex Templates Blogger Templates l Home Recordings l Studio Rekaman