First and foremost Apple touts the new version�s speed. After having spent a week with it, I have to admit it�s justified. I should mention up front that I am not playing with a small library of a few projects,I am basing all my findings on my live library of just more than 100,000 images. It�s safe to assume the performance won�t be any worse on a smaller library. AP2 seemed to perform pretty much the same with 100k files as it does with the 30 or so I played with before converting my library.
NOTE: The conversion is a one-way process, make sure to back up your library before you convert to 2.0�s new format.
The very first encounter with Aperture 2.0 for photographers will be either importing new projects or converting their existing 1.5.x library. Importing fresh files is incredibly fast. Images are imported in the background, much like they were in 1.5.x, but AP2 displays the JPG previews for the RAW files immediately, making it possible to immediately display and pick images. And due to the re-engineered database backbone of the entire system, changes can be made while importing without bringing the whole system to a halt. The only indicator that a project has finished importing will likely be slightly faster response when browsing and selecting files. That is if the indicator window that usually communicates that notification is disabled.
If you�re converting your existing library and are worried about the time it will take, rest easy. Mine took under an hour. I wish I had a more accurate number, but I left the system alone after beginning the process. I came back in an hour to find it finished.
As a stress-test I loaded all of my images. I clicked on the �All Photos� field under �Library.� About 15 seconds later the screen showed thumbnails, and on the bottom the status read �102,751 images displayed.� I hit �L� to start jogging through the files and let it go for 3 or 4 minutes. The entire time, through thousands of files, the scrolling kept up with no lag, no beach balls, no thrashing of the hard drive. I was impressed at this point, but one feature that won me over even more: Quick Preview.
Quick Preview foregoes the decoding of the RAW data and any adjustments that you have made to give you the quickest possible preview of a file that it can. In practice, scrolling speed is often more important than viewing a fully tweaked image, and although in AP2 the previewing of adjusted images is very fast, sometimes you need faster. At that point I hit �P� and am pretty much limited only by my ability to quickly recognize images. The preview speed almost approaches that of Photo Mechanic.
Sebastian Szyszka
more : photographyreview
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment