Thursday, January 3, 2008

Olympus Zuiko Digital 70-300mm Field Test

Let me start by saying a couple of things.

Number 1�I don�t tend to take photos of brick walls, bank notes, or test targets. I can understand why some people feel the need to scrutinize over the performance offered by their equipment. Photography is an expensive hobby. However I�m a little more laid back than some�so I tend to take my new purchase into the wilds and shoot what I normally shoot. If I�m happy with the results then I tend to be happy with my purchase. With that said, I think of this article as a field test rather than a true review.

Number 2�I am a big fan of the 1st generation Zuiko 40-150mm. It does have some warts. I�ve said before that photographing birds-in-flight with this lens is like bringing a knife to a gunfight. It will work�but it�s not the most practical tool for the job. Yet I actually really like the lens because of all the things it does well. It�s cheap. It�s light. It is compact enough to slip into the pocket of my photo jacket. It is reasonably fast. It is quite sharp wide open. It works with a teleconverter. How many other manufacturers can make that claim regarding their kit lenses? Finally, the 40-150mm actually renders bokeh quite well. I tend to place a lot of emphasis on how a lens renders bokeh because in most of my photos 80-90% of the image is, well, out of focus.

By Bruce Hamm


more : fourthirdsphoto

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2010 Camera Dashboard. All rights reserved.
Themes by Ex Templates Blogger Templates l Home Recordings l Studio Rekaman